Have you failed to capitalize on the vast reservoir of potential that you believe is lurking within you? Are you willing to see how far you can go?
There are many variables, and the odds are against giving maximal effort each day. However, it can be interesting to see what you can accomplish if you try.
What have you dreamed of mastering?
Reach your full potential and discover yourself with these strategies:
1. Focus. Life is too short to reach your potential in multiple pursuits. Limit yourself to just a few activities if you want to reach a high level of mastery. Remember: jack of all trades, master of none. Mastering anything takes time. Patience is a key to long-term development.
2. Understand that progress is comes quickly at first and then slows. After a year of practicing golf for several hours each day, you’re a lot better than you were on day one. But, most likely, you’ll barely be better after nine years than you were after eight.
3. Set goals. Have both long-term and short-term goals. Short-term goals are the pathway to your long-term goals. Your daily actions create progress toward your short-term goals. Set goals and do something each day to make those goals come to life.
4. Become the person you have to be. If you want to be the best painter you can be, it’s necessary to become a person that values creativity, boldness, and a willingness to expose your work to scrutiny. It’s necessary to live life in this way each day. What type of person do you have to be to reach your potential in your endeavor?
5. Practice every day. There’s no other way. Regular, intentional practice is the key to maxing out your potential. It must become an integral part of your life. The best way to determine the most valuable actions to practice to master your pursuit is to find a mentor.
6. Find a mentor. Even the best athletes have a coach. Whether your pursuits are physical, financial, spiritual, or fall under the category of “other,” a mentor can take years off your learning curve. Imagine the difference between learning to play the guitar on your own and having an expert guide you each day.
7. Embrace change. Greater skill, and then mastery, are forms of change. The average adult hasn’t changed over the last decade, aside from getting older. You must be willing to change to reach your potential. Be excited by change and learn to enjoy it.
Reaching your full potential in the literal sense might not be your true desire. There are many other responsibilities to consider. But the option exists.
Whether you want to reach your full potential or just enhance your expertise in one aspect of your life, the solution is the same. The only difference is the degree to which you pursue it.
These strategies will help you reach the height that you desire in whichever skill you decide to pursue. Set your goals, focus, find a mentor, and practice each day. Even if you don’t become the world’s best at your chosen endeavor, you’ll find new achievement, meaning, and fulfillment in your life.